WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

add acid?

I constantly hear hosts of most cooking shows and cooking competitions critique a dish with the comment, " it needs a little acid". Just this week, Sarah said to "add acid". I get add salt, add sweet, but I would like an explanation of how you know something needs acid? Thanks

johnparisi@email.com

JOHN PARISI

104 Old Colebrook Rd

Colebrook. CT 06021

Comments

• Hi John -

We often reach for acidic ingredients when we want to “brighten” or “lift” a dish. When an earthy, savory, starchy and/or rich dish needs contrast, vinegars and other tart ingredients are the perfect fit for the job. They lend much-needed lightness to meals that can otherwise feel heavy. That contrast makes any dish more interesting and pleasurable to eat.

Acids also balance other flavors. We experience acids as sour-tasting; that sourness balances both saltiness and sweetness. If a dish is too salty or sweet, try adding something acidic. 

It’s also important to have different sensations—warming vs. cooling— in our food. These differences may refer to actual temperature differences (hot vs. cold) or to the sensation, or effect, that an ingredient has. Think about a dollop of yogurt on top of a bowl of chili. There’s contrast in temperature and also in sensation: the creamy, tart yogurt is cooling, while the rich, meaty chili is warming. On the flip side, consider chili flakes: their temperature is likely room temperature or cooler, but they have the effect of warming us up. When it comes to acidic ingredients, even if they are used at room temperature, we experience them as cooling in culinary terms. 

Hope that helps explain it!

Best,

The Milk Street Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.