WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

NYC Food Storage

I'm moving from New Hampshire to NYC, and I have a question about food storage. Some percentage of my produce (tomatoes, apples) live on my countertop. However, my understanding is that leaving ANY source of food outside of the fridge is a magnet for ... let's call them insects.

How do I store my tomatoes so that they don't become a nightmare buffet, but still keep them out of the fridge where they'd turn mushy?

Comments

• Hi Leah -

Good luck on your move! As city dwellers ourselves (in Boston) we, unfortunately, have a lot of experience with this! Your best bet is to purchase a covered mesh storage bowl like this in which to store your produce. Depending on the layout/size of your kitchen, a hanging fruit basket might work also.

The most important thing, when it comes to critters, is to make sure nothing is easily accessible on the ground or on counters where they can get easy access (they often come in through a stove or under a refrigerator). If you have any large holes or open space under your cabinetry fill it in with steel wool to prevent them from even gaining access to your space and make sure to fully clean your counters and stovetop after cooking so there aren't any crumbs for them to nibble on.

Hope this helps!

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

• The mesh fruit bowl is an excellent suggestion - thank you!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.