Milk Street Insider Members and Digital Subscribers can post questions and answers. Insider Members will receive a response from a Milk Street expert within 2 business days. View all subscription options here. Try any plan for your first 12 weeks for just $1.

Bacon

To maintain flavor should bacon be cooked slow (low heat) or hot? We prefer crispy vs. wimpy bacon.

Comments

• Go to FOOD52 for a very good discussion of bacon cooking methods - https://food52.com/blog/23779-how-to-cook-bacon-best-way-make-bacon-in-the-oven-skillet I have tried all of these methods and although there is a lot of enthusiasm for the microwave method (very crispy, it's true) I agree that the taste is off. The rimmed baking sheet method is the winner hands down but takes longer. I have also tried adding water to the skillet and this does give you a slightly more evenly cooked result but still not perfect. However, the smell of cooking bacon on the stovetop is a critical part of the process for me so I stick with a large cast iron skillet and use medium-low heat. Maybe not the best method but it does get people out of bed in the AM.

• I cook on medium-high to high, but I turn the bacon over a few times so it cooks evenly on both sides. Works every time and I can cook it to whatever degree of crunchy-ness people want.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion.