WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Smores Bars with Marshmallow Meringue - texture question

I just made the Smores Bar recipe recently featured on Milk Street TV. This was also my first time making a meringue. I'm curious what the texture is supposed to be for the meringue. I used a stand mixer for about 5 minutes and used a torch to toast the top. The meringue has held its height/shape and has an airy whipped cream/coolwhip texture (that doesn't melt). I'm just making sure that is how it should be rather than a bit more solid like marshmallow.

Update: In addition to the texture question, I stored them in an airtight container in the fridge overnight and I am now noticing they appear to weeping syrup from the meringue layer and have deflated slightly. Any suggestions to prevent this would also be helpful.

Comments

• Hi John -

The meringue texture should be light and flowy more like the topping to a lemon meringue pie than a marshmallow.

Unfortunately, weeping can be an issue with meringue. Was your meringue whipped to stiff peaks? Sometimes if it’s under beaten it is more prone to weeping. Also, when browning the meringue, try not to use too high heat or brown too much. The shock of the high temperature can cause the sugar in the meringue to seize and leach out water. The less of the meringue that gets heated, the less weeping will occur. So swirling the meringue into peaks and just browsing the tips will hopefully minimize weeping

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.