WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Half cooked, now refrigerated turkey, Food Safe??

I have a "simple" question about now refrigerated undercooked turkey. I roasted a 15# spatchcock turkey primarily to get the drippings for gravy to take to a Thanksgiving meal elsewhere. Gravy was great.

My turkey came to temp., bird rested & then I carved to later have turkey meat for my family. Unfortunately the breast meat & drumsticks near the bones were way undercooked. I saw my error & promptly refrigerated the meat.

I know if I had returned bird to the oven or grill my turkey at that point, would be food safe. But I didn't have time.

What I want to know is now that I have undercooked cold poultry, can I safely bring it to temp & consume? Further, is it safe to cook that meat now & freeze it for soup? 

Okay if I should just trash the bird. It was inexpensive & I got a great gravy which was my goal...sorry so wordy. Appreciate your thoughts. Blessings, MJ

Comments

• Hi MJ -

According to the FDA, this is not recommended nor food safe. Here is what they say:

"Never brown or partially cook meat or poultry to refrigerate and finish later because any bacteria present would not have been destroyed. It is safe to partially cook meat and poultry in the microwave or on the stove only if the food is transferred immediately to the hot grill to finish cooking."

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.