WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Stand mixer dough hook speed?

I recently got a KitchenAid stand mixer, and I noticed that the instructions call for only using the dough hook on the slow (or 2) speed.

However, many recipes, including ones here on Milk Street like the Tomato-Olive Focaccia, specify to start the dough on low and then increase the speed to medium.

How can I reconcile recipes that specify higher speeds for the mixer?

Comments

• Hi Kyle -

We think it really depends on the hydration level of the dough. Softer, wetter doughs, like our focaccia, are generally fine at higher speeds since the dough is so loose it's not really taxing the motor of the mixer. However, for firmer, drier doughs that might struggle more, we rarely ever call for speeds higher than Level 2.

That being said, if you are concerned about going against the manufacturers' guidelines, you can easily modify these recipes to be done at a lower speed. Just keep in mind the kneading time will increase, so be sure to follow any visual clues. You can also do a poke test (poke the dough with your finger and if it bounces back it's ready) or windowpane test (you can stretch the dough to be so thin, without tearing, that you can see light through it) to ensure dough is properly kneaded and ready for the proofing stage.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.