WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

"Yellow Mole with Chicken" - two questions

The recipe calls for 'bone-in skin-on" chicken parts, but then indicates that the skin should be removed. Why is "skin-on" inidcated here? Our store sells bone-in skinless chicken thighs, which should work just fine for this recipe.

Also I keep masa harina on hand at all times and make my own tortillas, so I'd like to substitute masa harina for the softened corn tortillas listed in the recipe; how much masa harina should I use?

Comments

• Hi Kevin -

It's great that your supermarket carries bone-in, skinless chicken thighs and you can definitely go ahead and use those. However, most of the supermarkets throughout the country only carry skinless chicken without the bone, which is why we call for it with skin and then remove it.

We never tested our recipe with masa harina since one of our goals was to develop a recipe that didn't call for an ingredient that most people don't have and is only called for in such a small amount. You can certainly try the recipe using masa harina (mixed with some water before adding), but it will probably require a little trial and error to get the thickness right. We would probably recommend starting with just a teaspoon or two first, to make sure it doesn't get too thick and add more as you see fit.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

• Thanks! I used far too much masa harina (a few ounces), and it was challenging to keep the mixture from turning in paste :-) I added enough liquid to counteract but the corn flavor was still stronger than the recipe intended. I'll try again with a smaller amount.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.