WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Popovers

About 4 or 5 years ago my wife asked me to make popovers for Christmas morning. They turned out fine, I don't remember the recipe but as you know there is not much to them. I often make Dutch Babies this always works out. last year at Christmas I made popovers again. They were little round plugs in the muffin tin. This year I tried again same thing. so I tried once more with not the fanny farmer recipe but one from some old home economics text for MSCW that belonged to my mother-in-law, same thing. Common element was everything is mixed up and put in a cold oven set for 450°F oven one for 30 minutes and on for 20 - 25 mi9n then turned down to 350. in both cases flat not popped over. One place suggested a cast-iron muffin pan. I bought two Lodge pans. The modern cast iron is not the same as the old ones. the sand finish and the pre seasoning do not make for stick free baking. That first batch also flat. I cleaned the pan Which involved much soaking and scratching to get off the baked-on pop overs. Tried once more after I re seasoned the pan. These I pre heated as with the Dutch babies and put them in a pre-heated oven. Same flat not popped. Next, I got Ina Garten's recipe and used glass custard cups greased with butter and pre-heated a little. When they came out the cups looked at least filled but noooo, the draft in the glass custard cups just allowed the product to scoot up the sides so the "pop overs were at the top but there was an inch + of air below. What is wrong, please help.

Comments

• Hi Roger -

We recently answered a similar question in the Off The Air feature in the January-February issue of the magazine:

A great popover should have a crisp crust, an airy yet custardy interior and—most importantly—its signature billowy shape. A popover pan might appear to be nothing more than a tall muffin tin, but it actually is uniquely designed to deliver these results. Popover pans are designed to convey heat directly to the batter, which is quite wet. As the batter bakes, that heat turns the moisture into steam, causing the popovers’ dramatic rise. The deep cups of a popover pan give the batter plenty of room to rise, and provide support for the sides of the popovers as they do so. The pan shape also promotes swift, even heat distribution, crucial for achieving popovers’ trademark crispy exterior and tender interior. By contrast, the wide, shallow cups of a muffin tin don’t provide the same level of support or space. As a result, popovers baked in muffin pans spread outward rather than upward, resulting in short, squat pucks. Still, we know not everyone has—or wants to buy—a popover pan. So we tested ways to make a standard muffin pan work. For maximum puff, we needed as thin and wet a batter as possible. We started by using low-fat milk instead of whole. We also let the batter rest for 25 minutes to give the flour time to fully hydrate. Next, we skipped nonstick pans. To get the best rise, the batter would need to grip the sides of the cups; nonstick would be too slippery. We filled each cup three-quarters full, but left the two center cups empty to mimic the way a popover pan allows for better heat circulation. Finally (and somewhat unexpectedly), we found we got the best results if near the end of baking we pierced each popover with a skewer. This released steam and let the interiors dry a bit, helping them crisp and hold their shape.

Here is our recipe for popovers that corresponds with these instructions.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

• The Common Soup Kitchen in South Harbor Maine produces 400 to 500 popovers daily. I use their recipe and it doesn't fail. My only change is I refrigerate the batter overnight. https://knowwhereyourfoodcomesfrom.com/2018/05/17/moms-popovers-brought-back-to-mind-by-a-maine-soup-kitchens-awesome-community-building-with-popovers-hot-out-of-the-oven/

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.