WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Lupine beans

I love lupine beans and decided to soak and rinse my own batch, not knowing how many I would get from a 16 oz bag of dried. Now i have a huge pot that needs to be used within a couple of weeks. Can they be swapped out in any bean or chickpea recipe, such as the one in this week’s blog/email?

thanks

Comments

• Hi Kathy -

I assume you bought the more modern "sweet" variety, not the bitter ones that require days of soaking to make them edible? If you aren't sure if you have the sweet variety, you will need to soak them for many days to If not prepared correctly, lupini beans are extremely bitter, indicative of toxicity, known as lupin poisoning. Lupin poisoning is relatively common with legumes high in alkaloids, like lupini beans, and can temporarily impair nervous system responsiveness and cause digestive discomfort. 

If you've got the sweet ones and soaked overnight or the bitter ones and ensured they are no longer bitter, you can use them as you would cannellini, borlotti, garbanzo, or in most white bean dishes. They actually have taste and texture that more closely resembles an edamame bean so feel free to use them in place of those too.

These are a common bar snack in the Mediterranean and the Middle East when brined and/or pickled, which would be another great (and long-term) use for them if you've got too many. Once brined, you can toss them with olive oil, a little smoked paprika, fresh herbs, and a little lemon juice or wine vinegar for brightness.

Hope that helps!

The Milk Street Cooking Team

• Thank you so much! The package did not say which variety I had, so I did the whole soaking, boiling and rinsing for over a week now. I don't think they taste bitter at all anymore, so I hope I am ok!! Any test to be sure?!

If you have any brining recipes, I would really appreciate it!

• Hi Kathy -

You would know if they were still bitter so if they don't taste it, we think you are ready to go!

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.