WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Healthy coconut macaroon recipe

Hello!

I need some help tweeting a coconut macaroon recipe. I have made it once and was somewhat successful. However, many other bakers commented (and was my experience as well but I modified), that it’s too wet and falls apart. Knowing this, I reduced the honey by 75% and added about 1/4 fine almond flour. My egg whites were perfect and held up until I started making the cookies. The batter became very wet but I managed to get them on the pan and they are very fragile after baking. What are your suggestions for improving the outcome? I am really wanting a lower sugar /carb macaroon I was thinking about using brown rice syrup instead of honey as I know that works well in granola bars

here’s the recipe (as posted)

INGREDIENTS

INSTRUCTIONS

• In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form.
  • In a separate large bowl mix together the honey or maple syrup, vanilla, coconut flakes, melted coconut oil or butter, and maca.
  • Carefully fold the coconut mixture into the egg whites.
  • Let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes so the coconut can soak up the liquid.
  • Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  • Line a baking sheet or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  • Use a 1 tablespoon measure or cookie scoop to scoop the macaroon mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Leave a small amount of space between each one.
  • Bake for 8-12 minutes on the lined baking sheet until just starting to brown.

Appreciate your help!

Comments

• Hi Heather -

At Milk Street we don't work on low-carb or low-sugar recipes, so we aren't super experienced with those types of substitutions. What we can say that this recipe has liquid sugar rather than granulated sugar, which will inherently make the mixture more/too wet and loose. We would probably recommend using a granulated sugar substitute like monk fruit sweetener instead.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.