WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Tamarind paste vs Tamarind paste concentrate

When I use Tamarind for a dish such as pad Thai, it is not clear to me what type of tamarind past to use. I usually use a small jar of tamarind paste go by flavor to get the correct amount.

What is the difference in concentration of Tamarind in each product and when do I use either product.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Lynne - Tamarind paste, also referred to as tamarind pulp, is what you will find in a large, compressed block made from the fleshy membrane that surrounds the tamarind seed pod. Tamarind pulp/paste will need to be rehydrated before use. We find this to have the freshest, brightest flavor and what we would choose for all recipes that call for tamarind. Tamarind paste concentrate is a cooked down, intensely flavored, syrupy version of the fruit. It often has a pickling agent or preservative added, like sodium benzoate or citric acid. Sometimes it has a slightly harsh, biting aftertaste, and lacks that fresh oomph of tartness. However, it is obviously much more convenient to use since it can be added to a dish straight from the jar. Our advice - if you want to use a tamarind paste concentrate, do a taste test of a variety of brands and compare to tamarind pulp to find one that most closely replicates its fresh flavor. We sell one in our store that we find has the best flavor - https://store.177milkstreet.com/products/organic-tamarind-paste?_ga=2.43140901.1609184027.1624289759-231807635.1624289759. Best, Lynn C.

• Thank you for your quick reply. I use a product very similar to the organic tamarind paste that you recommended above. How does this compare to a product like Dragonfly Tamarind concentrate?

thank you again

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.