WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Orange extract uses

I received a bottle of orange extract as a gift. What are some uses for it? Can I use it in certain baking recipes as a substitute for orange zest?

Comments

• Hi Dominic - I think my first suggestion would be to use it in baking recipes to add some orange flavor to a recipe that doesn't already have orange flavor (i.e., make a plain vanilla cake an orange cake). Orange extracts can vary and some are pretty potent so you may have to play around with the appropriate quantity. I think you *could* substitute orange extract for orange zest but, again, it would not be a direct 1:1 substitution and I feel like you would lose some of the fresh flavor of the zest. To substitute for orange juice it's a little more complicated since orange juice is often counted as some of the liquid in the recipe. So, for example, if a recipe calls for 1/2 cup of orange juice you would want to add a teaspoon or two of extract and then 1/2 cup of some sort of liquid (water, milk, buttermilk, etc.) to the recipe so the texture isn't compromised. Good luck! Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.