WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Using Carrot Pulp When Baking

My hubby makes a lot of carrot juice, and I'd love to use the pulp in baking. What is the ratio to substitute pulp for shredded carrots? I heard you use less pulp. Is there anything else to know about substituting pulp for shredded carrots when baking, whether it's cake, cookies, breads, etc? Thanks! (Sorry if I posted this twice. I'm learning how to post ;)

Comments

• Ellen - so glad to hear that you are thinking about how to use all parts of the carrot; using the juice and pulp is a great way to reduce food waste and enjoy the full nutritional benefits of carrots. There is no one hard-and-fast ratio for replacing shredded carrots with carrot pulp, but a good place to start is using half as much pulp (by volume) than shredded carrots. If you are weighing your ingredients, there's no need to change the weight amount; but since pulp is way more densely packed than shredded carrots, we have to use less if measuring by volume. The other tip I would give is to be sure to break the carrot pulp up well before using. Otherwise, you run the risk of a big clump of carrot sinking to the bottom of a lovely cake or bread. Happy baking! - April D.

• Excellent! Thanks April :)

• Have you considered dehydrating the carrot pulp, then lightly grind in a spice grinder. You can then add the carrot powder to your recipes. I have been doing this with various veggies/fruits that I used to toss such as the peels from apples, cucumbers, zucchini, and ends of celery. It's a great way to add nutrition to recipes for picky eaters.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.