WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Sourdough Starter

Due to the scarcity of quality bread in these trying times, I began my own sourdough starter. There are a million “recipes” out there, with varying tactics. My question is - how does one know when the starter is truly ready? I’ve had mine going for about 2 weeks now, both an all-purpose and a stone ground wheat version. Sometimes it doubles in size as it should after a feeding, other times it rises just a bit. I’ve heard the float test is not an accurate way to discern the readiness of your starter. Initially after only three days, it tripled in size after a feeding - perhaps I should have stored it in the frig at that point and begun using it? Very hard to know. Suggestions welcome!

Comments

• I just started a sourdough starter too. I highly suggest following the directions at King Arthur Flour. They make the complicated process as simple as I've found. They have many different bread recipes and also great recipes for excess starter too. As King Arthur suggests I started making bread with my sourdough once it was doubling in size after 6 hours or less at room temperature. I added a little yeast for insurance and they turned out great. I plan to make a no yeast loaf soon! Their directions for refrigerating are also very helpful and has worked well for me so far. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/guides/sourdough

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.