WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Pizza Dough: Fermentation Schedule

Good Evening,

I’ve seen it mentioned that the recommended shelf life for MilkStreet pizza dough is 72 hours. I was wondering the reasoning for that timeline? It’s cited in many reliable locations that actually a 7 day fermentation may be ideal. Tonight I made the white arugula pizza with MilkStreet dough and it was really outstanding. That white arugula recipe just skyrocketed into my recipe stratosphere. Anyhow the dough was first made Thursday night. I also made pizza Friday night so 24 hours fermentation. Today would have roughly been 96 hours and I much preferred tonight’s dough structure. Any guidance on why the 72 hours figure was given would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Adam - I spoke with Diane Unger, the recipe developer of this pizza recipe and our Director of Recipe Development, and, in her testing, she found that the yeast was compromised after the 72-hour mark and she lost oven spring when baking the pizza. This is likely because we are using instant yeast here. You'd probably have better results for a longer ferment if you were using active dry yeast. Hope this helps! Best, Lynn

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.