WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Pumpkin Roll Conundrum

Hello!

I want to make a pumpkin roll for Thanksgiving this year, but I can't seem to find a good recipe. I have never made any kind of swiss roll before, so this prospect is already a bit daunting. I was hoping you guys either had a recipe or could point me in the right direction, and also advise me on the best type of pan to use when baking a swiss roll. Thank you!

Comments

• Hi Chelsea -

We don't have a rolled cake recipe at Milk Street, but there are a few tips that might help you succeed:

1. A rimmed baking sheet or jelly roll pan would be our pan recommendation
    2. While the cake is still hot, roll it into a spiral on a confectioners' sugar—dusted towel and then allow it to sit for 15 minutes before unrolling it and adding the filling. 
    3. To avoid deflating the batter when transferring it to the prepared baking sheet, hold the mixer bowl as close to the bottom of the sheet as possible, using a rubber spatula to gently push the batter into the sheet.
    4. Make sure not to overbake the cake, which can cause cracking once rolled.
    5. Be sure to find a recipe from a reliable source - a food magazine, cookbook, or reliable recipe developer (e.g., Sally's Baking Addiction, Serious Eats, King Arthur, etc.). These recipes have been tested by professional recipe developers and will ensure success.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.