WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Best recipes for fingerling potatoes?

We've been trying to help local restaurants during this crisis - ordering take-out, tipping generously, etc. One of the restaurants in the area pivoted to groceries and we ordered some food from them. Surprisingly reasonable pricing and good quality. https://www.evoscottsdalemarket.com/ if you're in the area.

However, we ordered fingerling potatoes and they gave us 10 pounds. There are two of us. That's a bunch of potatoes per person. My typical go-to for fingerlings is roasted or smashed with garlic, herbs, and some seasoning. We tried the salted potato recipe on Milk Street and didn't love it.

Any knock-your-socks-off-this-made-the-quarantine-worthwhile uses for fingerlings you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Mitch

Comments

• Hi Mitchell - It's such an incredibly hard time for restaurants in our communities so I'm sure they truly appreciate your support. But, whoa - 10 lbs. is a lot of potatoes!

First, make sure to store the potatoes in a cool, dry, dark place to maximize their freshness. A basement is ideal for this but I realize not everyone has a basement and not everyone's basement is cool, dry, or dark. Find the coolest part of your home and store them there.

The only fingerling recipes I've made during the quarantine are the smashed potatoes, the papas arrugadas (definitely serve with one of the mojos), and our pasta recipe with potatoes. Here are some additional ideas: potato leek soup (ramps are about to be in season and would be great in a potato soup too), any sort of potato salad (I'm partial to our mayonnaise-free Austrian potato salad), potato gratin, nicoise salad (or, really, any kind of green salad with a soft-cooked egg and boiled or roasted fingerlings), you could peel, boil, and mash and use the potato to make gnocchi or potato rolls - and freeze! There's a recipe out there somewhere for Cacio e Pepe potatoes that I've been meaning to try since I love the pasta. Seems like a perfect place to use fingerlings.

I know you make a lot of pizza and I think a topping of our fontina-parmesan cream with sliced, cooked fingerlings and bacon would be amazing!

Hope that helps, Mitchell, and happy potato cooking!

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.