WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

Baking without oven

Hi,

I have a major renovation which caused removing the whole kitchen. However I would like to bake for the Christmas holidays. When listening to an episode of Milk Street radio, Chris mentioned that he made steamed pudding once and it came out fine.

My question is if there is any recipe I can use to do that. My second question is if there is any website or any cookbook with baking recipes without oven.

I searched in Milk Street website, couldn't find any recipes regarding that.

Thanks

Touran Zarrabi

Comments

• Hi Harsh -

Many desserts can be made on the stovetop. Here are just a few:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/stovetop-chocolate-cake - this recipe is very versatile. It can be frosted or flavor profile changed (try adding cinnamon and chili powder for Mexican flavors).

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/salt-pepper-butterscotch-pudding-cookish - Any traditional American pudding will work on the stovetop. This butterscotch version is a pretty classic one but with some more modern flavors. We also have a couple of chocolate pudding recipes on the website as well. Or chocolate mousse like this one.

Any rice pudding, like this one. We have several others on the website with different flavor profiles.

A slump - which is like a stovetop cobbler - with any type of fruit like this one with blackberries.

These are just some ideas. There are tons of recipes online for steamed cakes, specifically from Asian cultures, where steaming is the primary method for making cakes.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

• I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the steamed chocolate cake - it is the best chocolate cake!!!

Do you have a vanilla steamed cake version? I have not idea how to convert from chocolate to vanilla.

Keep up the great work!

• Hi Marie -

We love that cake too! We haven't developed a vanilla version yet. If you want to try making it yourself without the cocoa and espresso powder, we would recommend replacing the cocoa powder with an equal amount *by weight* of all-purpose flour and increasing the vanilla to 2 teaspoons. Since cocoa powder and flour don't weigh the same (85 grams and 130 grams per cup, respectively) you can't replace the 1/3 cup of cocoa powder with 1/3 cup of flour.

Best,

The Milk Street Cooking Team

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.